Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Recycled bath water, etc.


How's that for a catchy post title?

When I look at my blog list (at least every other day), I always feel let down that more people haven't updated. But I'm one of the worst offenders! I really feel like posting right now, but I have several days' worth of dishes piled on my counter, and I am in the middle of several loads of laundry. (Plus, I have a crying baby who just woke up from his nap.) Why am I so behind on housework? The gauge in our heating oil tank malfunctioned, so I didn't know we were low, and we ran out of heating oil over the weekend. The heating oil powers our water boiler, which is how the house is heated, and also where the rest of the hot water in the house comes from. It would have cost a couple hundred bucks to get emergency weekend service, so we had no heat for our house and no hot water for dishes, laundry, and baths for a few days.

To add to the stress, I was scheduled to sing a solo in our special Relief Society meeting Sunday, which was held in the chapel (I mention that because I think it's a lot scarier to sing a solo up at the podium into a microphone than it is in the RS room). A little more stress was added because I've been getting over a cold (for, like, weeks), and was getting occasional uncontrollable coughing fits. Didn't want that to happen in the middle of the song! Since we had no hot water, we spent two straight hours Sunday morning boiling pots of water on the stove and dumping them into our bathtub so we could cycle all four of us through the bath in order to be presentable for church. Fun fun fun! I had to shave my legs in the bathroom sink so that I wouldn't sully the bathwater that we were somewhat recycling from person to person. (Cue mental picture of movie scene of cowboys taking turns using the hotel (or whorehouse) bath tub. Yuck!)

Oh well, we all ended up clean, and I think the solo went okay. I didn't have a cough problem until after I sat down, at least. Two accomplished musicians from our neighboring ward accompanied me on the piano and the flute, so I enjoyed that. I'm no soloist, though. I had intended that this musical number be a trio, but signals got a little crossed and the RS presidency asked for it to be a solo. The song was "Write Thy Name Upon My Heart" by Sally Deford. She provides many free compositions and arrangements on her site at www.defordmusic.com. I didn't know about it before I went looking for a song that fit with the theme of the meeting, which was "A Heart Like His". Here are the lyrics of the song:

Write thy name upon my heart
Jesus, Savior of mankind
Teach me charity unfailing
Teach me compassion, Lord, like thine
Endow my soul with loving kindness
Make me even as thou art
Engrave thine image in my countenance
Write thy name upon my heart

When battles rage; when storms arise
Make me a messenger of peace
Teach me tolerance and meekness
And faith to bid the tempest cease
Endow my soul with loving kindness
Make me even as thou art
Engrave thine image in my countenance
Write thy name upon my heart

Grant me strength to serve thee well
Light my spirit with thy grace
'Til all my works reflect thy goodness
'Til all my labors sing thy praise
Endow my soul with loving kindness
Make me even as thou art
Engrave thine image in my countenance
Write thy name upon my heart


We've had the oil back since yesterday morning, but I haven't tackled the pile of dishes yet. Have done three loads of laundry so far, but folded nothing. We've had eye appointments and doctor appointments yesterday and today, as well as realtor/landlord apartments as we look for a new rental. Yes, our lease is almost up and we have decided to leave floral wallpaper behind. Yay! I just realized I have only put up one piece of artwork/wall decor in this house, and no family photos or anything. It just never felt like my home. That, and I have been incredibly intimidated by the plaster walls.

At the same time, I have also been spending a significant amount of time trying to find a new tenant for our townhome in North Logan. Our great tenants bought a home of their own. If anyone knows anyone who's looking, send them my way.

Sorry, this was a pretty boring post, but at least it's something.

8 comments:

  1. Just glad to know you are alive. Even boring posts are exciting to me because I MISS YOU! and getting to hear about what is going on. Glad you have hot water again, I have't done dishes in two days just because I don't like doing dishes and we've been doing some recycling of our own, a nasty cough/cold from one to the other to the other. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pei pa koa is pretty decent cough medicine (from herbal as I remembered), great non alcoholic medicine, some western cough medicine are more effective, but this is non drowsy.

    You can access info online @
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nin_Jiom_Pei_Pa_Koa
    ninjiom.50webs.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you're moving? Ten bucks says it happens within two weeks of our Pennsylvania trip. :) That's just the way life works...

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes! at least it is a post! i'm with kari...every boring posts are still exciting!! that sure would have been an adventure! at least beck didn't poo in the bath..that would have sucked to have to scoope that out and hopefully no floaties otherwise...yea..that would have sucked! :) i miss you so much my darling!! glad to know you are still happy...even through all of life's challenges! hope you feel better! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well if there's one thing I love on my blog are comments. You are always good to do that. So thanks.

    I'm always glad when people with musical talent -share it. So way to go.
    And good luck with finding a new place and renting your Logan place. Never any fun. My hubby has 2 duplexes that are always having student vacancies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you're going to be busy. I was just feeling like it was really time for another visit . . . I'll come help! The only thing better than two kids when you're packing is five! Yay! But really, let me know if I can help in any way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grandmom says: I'm glad you didn't freeze to death! Winter isn't a great time to do without heat and hot water, is it? I wish I could have heard that musical number; I'm sure it was wonderful. It sounds like you will be moving before I ever see your first eastern home. Good luck with the move and renting your Logan home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yea for updates (I haven't been in a blogging mood lately- I think it's the politic stuff depressing me).

    Yea for no poop in the shared bathwater.

    Yea for new houses. Good luck finding something you love, that feels like home.

    We're all ready for you to move back to Utah though. :)

    ReplyDelete