Saturday, November 20, 2010

You Snooze, You Lose -- Traumatic Travel 2010: Part 2

Returning to my saga of traveling to Utah in June...

Our flight was to leave Philadelphia International Airport at 7:00am. We would be checking quite a few bags, so I wanted to arrive two hours ahead of our flight. We live almost an hour from the airport. We needed be loaded into the car and ready to leave at 4:00am, basically. I'm sure anyone who knows me can see this is a plan fraught with danger. Staying up until 3am, I am good at. Getting up at 3am, not so much.

An aside, about my alarm clock:

An alarm clock is meant to be an aid, an ally, an organizational and time management tool. This is how I view my alarm clock when I set it at night. But when my alarm clock rings in the morning, I consider it to be my mortal enemy. When I hear my alarm ring, I do not think, "Oh, I need to wake up. How nice of my alarm to let me know it's time to wake up!" Instead, I think, "WHAT on EARTH is that AWFUL SOUND!!???!! Doesn't anyone know I am TRYING TO SLEEP??!!!??? Make it stop! Make it stop! MUST MAKE IT STOP SO I CAN GO BACK TO SLEEP!!!!!!" So I hit snooze. I know for a fact I have sometimes hit snooze for upwards of two hours, waking up and going through the thought process above every seven, five, three, or even two minutes. (Side note, something odd I've noticed is that after hitting snooze I must put my head down on the pillow so I'm facing the opposite direction I was facing when I just woke up. So, I wake up and alternate my head position every few minutes for several hours. Weird.)

Back to the story:

Things might not have turned out so badly if I hadn't been trying to finish the laundry the night before the flight. I needed to finish that laundry because I couldn't finish packing until it was done. A lot of the clothes my boys and I needed for the trip were in that load. It was already nearing midnight when I put the second-to-last load in the washer. I sat down on the couch and pulled out my computer to double-check my itinerary and print our boarding passes. That was my big mistake. I never should have sat down, because almost immediately upon doing so, I fell asleep.

Next thing I knew, I woke up at 5am, the time at which I had intended to arrive at the airport. Though I have lots of experience oversleeping due to turning off my alarm or pushing snooze too many times, I didn't actually oversleep or over-snooze my alarm this time. I fell asleep without even setting it! I didn't even give myself a chance!

At that point, I knew that missing my flight was inevitable. I hadn't finished the laundry or the packing, the boys weren't up, fed, and dressed, I looked (and felt) like a total wreck. By the time we left the house traffic would already be getting bad on the turnpike. Absolutely no way we would make it in time.

I called Delta, and I was relieved to hear that my options weren't as bad or as costly as I thought they were going to be. Of course, the information I was so relieved by turned out to be completely incorrect, but that's for our next installment.

Stay tuned for the Part 3: "That Will Be $1000 Dollars, Please"...

2 comments:

  1. I know this was a traumatic experience, but it is such fun reading! Looking forward to Part 3

    ReplyDelete
  2. So late flights this time around is a better bet all around right? Sorry you had to go through all this but I do want to hear the next part

    ReplyDelete