Saturday, September 25, 2010

Philadelphia Sights

Our friend Corbrett came to visit last weekend. He attended USU with Tyson and now he lives in Washington, D.C. Corbrett was in Allentown (about 30 miles north-ish of us) for business, and he tacked on some extra time and stayed at our house Saturday night. We enjoyed a nice evening of conversation and peanuts, a usual morning of church, and then we went into Philadelphia on Sunday afternoon for a quick sightseeing trip. We visited the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. After Corbrett left to drive back to D.C., I made Tyson drive me over to the old part of Philadelphia ("Old City" neighborhod), which I hadn't seen yet. I wanted to see Elfreth's Alley, which is supposed to be America's oldest residential street. It's this tiny little cobblestone alley, but you can drive down it one way. You could probably reach out and touch the houses as you drive by. Here, I'll just insert a picture taken by someone else.

Photo taken by Kjetil Ree, details here.

I didn't take any pictures that day, but here are some from when we went and saw most of the same sights just after we moved here (early May). This is my first of a few posts where I try to catch up on the events of the last few months. We find Sunday is a nice day to see the sights. Downtown is not as crowded, and there are lots of free parking spots available.


Here we are in front of Independence Hall. You can barely see Beck's head behind Sawyer's in our nice, compact double stroller.



I think old B. Franklin is showing a little too much leg in this statue.


This is in Washington Square park, the Tomb of the Unknown Revolutionary War Soldier. "Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."


Beck is always trapped in the back seat of the stroller, but he is pretty good-natured about it.

People put coins on the grave? I hope they're not making wishes.

My next post will cover some events from June. I'll get caught up yet!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you had this family outing together. I love seeing the pictures of you and Tyson and the kids!

    ReplyDelete