Friday, September 10, 2010

Merry Christmas (a little late)


I've spent the past year feeling a little (or a lot) behind on life. I just can't seem to catch up. I rarely finish a project. Some days my kids are in their diapers/underwear all day. Laundry sits, folded, in its basket and never gets put away. It all started the day we moved into our Logan condo, which was also the day Beck was born. I had trouble completing all the little projects that come with a move, seeing as how I was nursing an infant, caring for a one-year-old, and trying to meet the needs of a husband who was working nearly 80 hours a week. I had just started to get on top of things when we found out we would be moving across the country to Pennsylvania. I haven't really gotten anywhere near to being on top of things since then.

One project that has been hanging over my head since I moved into this house is my basement. Tyson "organized" it (as in, it looked good but he's not the one who ever needs to access anything, so I needed to reorganize it to my needs), I "disorganized" it, I kept putting "projects" down there, it got messy, etc., etc. Last week I finally got around to putting most of it in order. What did I find in one box, but another embarrassing uncompleted project: my stamped, sealed, addressed, unmailed Christmas letters from 2009. Almost 50 of them.

Last year was the first time I attempted to send a Christmas letter. We had moved so many times in the past year and a half that I wanted to make sure people knew about our new permanent location (haha, that permanent location lasted a long time, didn't it?). I made a list of people I wanted to send one to. I wrote the letter. I chose a family photo and had 50 holiday cards printed. I wrote a personalized message on the back of each one. I gathered all the addresses I had, and sent emails to get addresses I was missing. I informed and assured everyone that I was sending a Christmas letter. Maybe you sent me your address. Are you wondering why that letter never came?

Well, first I didn't get around to printing the letters out until after Christmas, but I figured that was still okay. Still "Happy Holidays" if I mailed them on December 30. Then I was lacking correct postage, and New Year's Day came and went without me having mailed the letters. Then, the next thing you know, we heard that Tyson was being invited to interview for a promotion in Pennsylvania. I just threw up my hands and put the letters on my laundry room shelves (aka Where Projects Go To Die). I was too embarrassed to mail them a month late, and the permanence of our permanent location had become uncertain.

Now that I've found them, I'm just going to post the letter and photo here and call it good. If you read this, maybe you can pass this info along to your parents or anyone else you think I would have sent a letter to. You'll all be missing out on your personalized messages, but I think you'll survive. If you want your hard copy, post a comment and I will drop yours in the mail. It's already stamped, and the March of Dimes just kindly furnished me with some pre-printed address labels with my Pennsylvania address. In fact, maybe I'll just send the whole lot. I hate to waste all the stamps and pictures!

Well, if a Christmas card with a completely outdated message and a Halloween address label shows up in your mailbox, you know why.

Merry Christmas!

----

December 30, 2009

Dear Family and Friends,

Happy New Year from the Tyson Heaton Family! We haven’t previously sent holiday cards, but we experienced so many moves and changes in 2009 that I (Lisa) thought I’d take the opportunity to reconnect with our loved ones and update you on where we are now.

Our biggest adventure in 2009 was trying to close on our new home before our new baby arrived. We made it! Our loan closing was at 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, August 13, and William Beckett Heaton (Beck) was born Friday, August 14 at 8:00 a.m. Wow, I sure went to great lengths to avoid moving the entire household for what would have been the fourth time in my pregnancy!

Tyson graduated from Utah State University with a degree in Political Science in December 2008, then changed his mind about law school and hit the job market in the middle of the economic downturn. After a few months of diligent searching while working temporary jobs, Tyson was hired by JBS for their Career Leadership Opportunity (CLO) program. JBS is a Brazilian company that owns beef and pork processing plants throughout the world, including the former E.A. Miller/Swift beef plant in Hyrum, UT. After completing his CLO program and being chosen as one of the top three in his class, Tyson now supervises a crew of 55 in the packaging department in Hyrum. I’m very proud of his hard work and thankful for all he does for our family. In his free time (what little he has), Tyson continues to enjoy following and discussing politics and policy. He has his eye on completing an MBA in the next few years, and he still hopes to own his own business someday.

I have a great job taking care of Sawyer and Beck and our home, where I have fun cooking, playing with the kids, and finding ways to frugally furnish and decorate our new place. My main “me time” activity is singing with the American Festival Chorus, a large choir conducted by Dr. Craig Jessop, the former conductor of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Sawyer, our cute little two-year-old, charms everyone with his gap-toothed grin. He loves his new bike (tricycle), balls of any sort, and his “dinky” (a Raggedy-Andy blanket that belonged to Tyson). Sawyer worships and emulates his Daddy, and he alternately loves, tolerates, and bullies his baby brother. We love Sawyer and all the fun his lively personality adds to our family!

Beck started out fairly big (8 lbs., 3 oz.) and is growing fast (17 lbs. now). He got an exer-saucer for Christmas, and he loves to stand up in it and grab at all the toys. He shares a huge, gummy smile with anyone who gives him the slightest bit of attention. We are lucky to have him!

We thank Heavenly Father for all our blessings this year. We thank Him, especially, for you!

Love,
The Heatons

P.S.: We didn’t receive many cards this season. I’ll give everyone the benefit of the doubt and assume it’s our fault, not yours. After all, we’ve had six different addresses in the past sixteen months. Maybe we’ve been a little difficult to keep track of? I’m hoping you’ll follow my lead and reconnect with us as well. Here is our current contact information:

(Outdated contact information removed.)

----

5 comments:

  1. This post made my day. My entire world is a filled with unfinished projects and dusty ideals. Keep on truckin' :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! This sounds so much like my life!! I keep on hoping that one day I'll just wake up and have this burst of positive energy and that I'll get lots and lots done! I'm still waiting for that day. . .and in the meantime. . .blah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just for your benefit, I'm going to share a few of my unfinished "projects" (I use that word loosely, as I consider anything on my to-do list a project):

    -- hot glue the trim on the chandelier in the girls room (been meaning to do this ever since they moved in there, so...about 2 1/2 years now)

    -- finish sewing the drapes for Logan's new office (that one's been waiting for almost a month)

    -- figure out what the heck I'm going to do for Lily's birthday party (WHY did I promise her I would bake a cake that looks just like Cinderella's carriage?!)

    -- someday get to Hobby Lobby so I can get the paint to transform some soon-to-be Christmas decorations (sitting on the garage floor) before it's too cold to paint outside...because I'm forbidden to paint in the garage

    ...and the list goes on (and on, and on, AND ON). Glad I'm not the only one with this random assortment of unfinished tasks floating around in the back of her mind all the time. I wish you lived next door to me, sister! Then we could kid-swap and maybe get something done in our lives (oh, and then I wouldn't miss you so much)! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey!! we definitely need to reconnect! don't fret my pet...we've moved yet again! so i'll email you my current address. we'll be here for at least a year. ("here" meaning salt lake.) so if you ever come down for Christmas to your parents...yea, we can be friends. by the way, i'm not positive, but I think I saw your dad at our church building!! i couldn't remember his name and i didn't want to say, "hey, lisa's dad" just in case he did have a daughter named lisa, but it wasn't you! :) hope all is well! we miss you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're way better than I am. At least you made cards. I've decided I don't believe in them because they never happen for us. Plus, I like this way better than spending the time deciding on pictures, layouts, what to write, how to say it, who to send it too...All too stressful for something I don't believe in.

    ReplyDelete