Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I Resolve...


First of all, don't ask me why I'm still up at 2:53 in the morning. Okay, if you must know, here's how it happened...

At approximately 11:00 p.m. I decided to take down all the Christmas decorations. This is the type of job I don't need Sawyer's "help" with. I was almost finished boxing everything up just before 1:00 a.m. The last thing I needed to put away was the Fisher Price Little People Nativity set Sawyer and Beck received from their Grandma (Tyson's mom) for Christmas. As I put the little figures in a baggie, it seemed to me that someone was missing. Either a shepherd or Joseph. I thought the set came with two shepherds, and I have one little figure who is holding a lamb, so that's a shepherd for sure. This other guy...well, he's carrying a staff that looks like a shepherd's crook, but his head-wear kind of matches Mary's. Is this guy Joseph, or a shepherd? I searched everywhere for whomever was missing, but to no avail. I really wanted to put the set away, but not without Joseph. He's an integral part of the whole thing! Shepherd #2? Well, I wouldn't mind letting him hang out in our house with the rest of the regular toys until he is found. I decided to get on the internet to find out exactly who was missing. Sounds simple enough, and I should be in bed before 1:00.

Except I said "the internet". The internet is a place where the moment I go there, I completely forget what I came for. I get distracted, end up spending hours learning about Nostradamus or grow lights for plants or how a perm works, or (more likely) looking at pictures on Facebook. Two hours later, I remembered what I came here for, and Googled some pictures of the Little People Nativity. Turns out this shepherd's crook guy is actually Joseph, and I'm missing a little shepherd. I hope he turns up soon, but I think I better put the box away before Sawyer "helps" me unpack it.

Okay, so that's why I'm up at (now) 3:07 a.m.

But what I really was going to post about was my new year's resolutions. They're not really formalized, and some of them I started working on in December, and they're personal, for the most part, so I'm not going to talk about them here. But one of them affects this blog, so I'm going to mention it. I am trying to get back to writing in my journal. My pen-and-paper one. You see, I have kept a journal since my sophomore year in high school. That's 16 years ago, if anyone's counting. (Ew.) I'm in my fifth volume of 200+ page journals. Sometimes I wrote really regularly. Sometimes I wrote A LOT. I must admit this was usually when I was in some sort of dramatic love/crush situation like, say, having a crush on someone for four years and barely even interacting with that person, or being stalked by someone ten years older than me, or dating the same person for four years who never wanted to marry me, or trying to juggle dating maybe twenty people at the same time. Those things made me write a lot, and now it's so stupid when I look back on it and read it. Luckily, intermixed between all the sometimes funny, sometimes sad love-life drivel, there are some good parts. However, ever since I got married (read: nothing really dramatic happened anymore) and started blogging, I haven't written much at all. That's unfortunate, because there is plenty of stuff I just can't/won't blog about, like spiritual things, or deeper emotions, or a fight with my husband, or something wonderful Tyson said or did. I'd like to keep track of these things. (Not so much the arguments, but maybe how they are resolved?)

So I decided to change my journal-writing habits.

Up until the past couple weeks, if/when I get both kids down for an afternoon nap at the same time I would usually jump into housework or onto the internet. Now, instead, the FIRST thing I am doing is 15 minutes of scripture study, followed immediately by journal writing. I'm amazed at what a positive impact this has on my day. It's the perfect relaxation activity: physically restful, but mentally engaging.

I only mention this because I don't know if my blog will suffer, because I'll be all "written out" and won't want to write on here. But I'll bet as long as I keep thinking my kids are adorable, I'll keep posting photos of them.

As for the rest of my resolutions, they're pretty typical: keep house better, be more organized, be a better mom and wife, be healthier/a little thinner, make some new friends, be a good friend, read more, etc.

Here's to the New Year!

3 comments:

  1. hahaha...but keep the old ones, of course! I just realized I haven't made a new friend in a few years, and even those I did make have all moved away. I'm sort of friendless up here, and I confess I don't exactly know how to make a new friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. speaking of new friends...can rekindle our friendship? we haven't talked in forever and i miss you!! i believe those "juggling 20 men at once" were doing our first becoming friends day. what can we say...pimpin ain't easy..so we might as well write about it! :) i haven't really written in my journal since being married either. Then when Kev left, I really wanted to remember these times...so I started up again. I realize I haven't written in it for a couple weeks now...so thanks for encouraging me to get back into it! we need to talk for sure...i was going to come up to roosevelt the end of january, but it is looking more like the end of april. Then to logan in like may or june (or earlier if I can get a job). i REALLY want to work at Avalon Hills...so I am hoping that they will have some kind of opening. I don't care if it's a janitor position...just to get my foot in the door. how is everything for you? the boys all look great. we definitely miss you guys! i still can't believe it's been almost a year since we stayed with you guys for those couple days!! that's insane! Anyway...I love you mucho and miss you tons! hope to hear from you soon my friend!

    ReplyDelete