Monday, March 30, 2009

What Do You Eat When You're By Yourself?

I was browsing around the site of Kaysville-based publisher Gibbs Smith when I came across a new title they have this season. It's called What We Eat When We Eat Alone by Deborah Madison. I haven't read anything else about it except the blurb on the website, but I think it's an interesting concept for a food memoir.

For me, I always eat noodles of some sort, with not much on them. Spaghetti with just parmesan cheese, ramen noodles (without the packet) with seasoned rice wine vinegar and a little sesame oil, maybe even angel hair pasta with butter and brown sugar. Always with a big glass of milk. Those who know me know that I am a plate cleaner. If I like what I have on my plate, there's hardly a speck of it left when I'm done. I scrape my ice cream bowl clean. I use bread to sop up every last bit of a good sauce or soup. I eat edible garnishes. So it probably won't surprise you to hear that when I'm by myself, I sometimes LICK THE BOWL.

When my dad has to fend for himself, he always eats Zesta crackers and milk.

Tyson eats crackers, cheese, and good salami.

What about you? I'm really curious to know what you eat when there's no one else around!

7 comments:

  1. Cereal or good ol' PB&J. I hate eating by myself, especially at dinner time! It's better since the kids are older, but when Aubrey leaves for months at a time, I have a really hard time cooking ANYTHING! How long is Tyson leaving for when he goes to Georgia? I'm sorry! It's never easy to be alone, even if it's just for a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have a hard time making anything if it is just me. Before I was pregnant I would eat ham and butter sandwiches, now I just eat butter on bread. I miss lunch meat and cooked is just not the same..

    ReplyDelete
  3. During college it was sticky rice, pasta, or tortilla with something. Now I love to survive on popcorn, dark chocolate, a whole grapefruit peeled and eaten with my hands or toast... and occasionally a bite of ice cream. Why cook when these things are satisfying by themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm...popcorn and ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pretty much eat the same thing when someone is around and when i am by myself. everyone knows i am obsessed with ice cream and popcorn. those are the two things that i have never really gone without. oh and of course my cheerios!!! my neices and nephews love coming over because they know we will always have those three things! yes, i do lick the bowl sometime also! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a lot, Emily, Dustin, and Jessica, for giving me a huge popcorn/ice cream craving. Luckily I have both on hand (imagine that!). I'm sure you all know those are two of my favorite foods, along with my pastas. I just don't save them solely for when I'm eating alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love cereal. It is quick and easy. Thats why we go through so much cereal at our house. I save the nice meals for when Matt is home.

    ReplyDelete