Wow, it's been so long since I last posted! Life has been a little topsy-turvy for us the past few weeks, and something tells me we're not quite out of the woods yet. I'll try to catch you up on where we are, and why.
Many of you may have heard that after all the study time he put in while staying with my parents, Tyson didn't end up taking the December LSAT. There's a longer story there, but the short version is he decided practicing law isn't the best fit for him. Better to find this out now than when you're $100,000 in debt from law school, right?
Around Thanksgiving (we spent a lovely holiday in Paradise with Tyson's family), our attention turned from full-time LSAT study to looking for a job for Tyson and considering our options. Again, there's a longer story here, but suffice it to say that a Bachelor's degree in Political Science (Tyson's official graduation date was December 13) doesn't leave one with a lot of career opportunities. You may be wondering, "why did Tyson choose that for his major, then?" Of course, we are wondering that now ourselves, but at the time he chose it he was just trying to graduate quickly in order to join the family bread business. Unfortunately, because of some outside circumstances and some family reasons, that door is no longer open.
Tyson briefly applying for an MPA (master of public administration) program for the fall, but came to realize that even if he can't go into the family business, he still wants to be in the business world and not the public sector. Tentatively, he has decided to pursue an MBA, but before he is a good candidate he needs a few years of solid work experience. So then we're back to the conundrum of "what do you do with a degree that hasn't prepared you for a job?".
The easy answer is to go back to a job you've done before, at least temporarily. In this case, Tyson decided to work for his uncle again, in a carbon briquette manufacturing project similar to the one Tyson worked on just before our trip. The company had a new contract for a new project, located in Spanish Fork this time instead of Price, and work was to begin in the beginning of December. Tyson was hired to be a shift lead and would have the opportunity to learn some other aspects of the business. I wasn't too keen on the idea, because I didn't like the dirty work and I didn't think it was a good avenue to lead Tyson where he eventually wanted to go, but I had to admit that our options were slim and that the pay was good. We had been living frugally on our savings for a couple of months, and it was time to have some steady income. We decided to make the move to the south end of Utah Valley.
We stayed with Tyson's grandparents in Lehi for a week in early December while we looked for an apartment. We were able to find a spacious, reasonably-priced basement apartment in Payson, in the ward of another of Tyson's uncles. The one thing we were sure of is that we didn't want to have to sign a 6- or 12-month lease, because we weren't at all certain of the future. Luckily, the apartment was offered on a month-to-month contract. Our rent is only $450 a month for a 2-bedroom apartment, and that includes all our utilities. Yay!
Good thing, because as December wore on, the start of Tyson's job was delayed again and again as the contract was tied up with lawyers. The bad feeling I had already had about the job started to get worse, until finally we heard the news: the project is on hold indefinitely. For me, this is good news and bad news. Good news because I felt there was a better job for Tyson out there somewhere, and now he didn't have to be stuck working in carbon dust all day. Bad news because, have you heard?, the economy/job market is not exactly so hot right now! Oh, and we have moved to Payson, not exactly a hotbed of job growth.
Well, there's more, but I hear Sawyer is up from his nap now, so I better go.
Merry Christmas, everyone! Love from me, Tyson and Sawyer!