Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Day 16 - Northern California Coast

Day 16

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

George treated us to a delicious pancake breakfast (Alice, I LOVE pancakes!), then we packed up and got on the road. First, we drove through the little town of Westport, then it was on to Fort Bragg, where we stopped for some groceries, including smoked salmon and smoked gouda from Round House. A little further down the coast, we passed through picturesque Mendocino. I remember learning long ago that one of my favorite shows when I was a kid, “Murder, She Wrote,” was filmed in Mendocino (though it was set in Maine). I know, I know, what ten-year-old loves “Murder, She Wrote”? A ten-year-old who loves Nancy Drew and detective stories of all kinds, that's who.

What I noticed most about Mendocino were the wooden water towers behind many homes in the area. I wasn’t sure what the towers were at first, until Tyson convinced me they were water towers. You can see pictures and learn more about them here: http://www.mcn.org/ed/CUR/liv/ind/mark/water.htm

We continued down the coast in mostly foggy, gray weather, heading inland toward Santa Rosa in the late afternoon. When we arrived in Santa Rosa, I saw our trip’s first palm tree. We admired the vineyards in Sonoma and Napa counties as we drove toward our sleeping point for the night, outside the San Francisco metro area.

I didn’t take any pictures this day, though I wish I had gotten one of the vineyards at sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment