Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Day 15 - Westport, CA area

Day 15

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

We spent a lazy day at the Fishers’ vacation home, reading, relaxing, BATHING, napping, and walking around the surrounding area. I perused the guest book and saw that the Fishers have been very generous in lending the home to various friends, relatives, and neighbors, and also that they are able to visit it quite often themselves. Tucked away in the redwoods, the home is a spacious three-bedroom, two-bathroom retreat just a couple miles from the ocean.

We expected the Fishers sometime in the afternoon, but when they hadn’t arrived by 4:30, we decided to go to the beach and come back to the house later. I had read in the information packet prepared by the Fishers that there was beach-access stairway about a mile down Highway 1. We drove that direction and used the stairway to make our way down the sandy cliffs. It was almost low tide, and I busied myself finding little bits of polished glass that had washed ashore next to some rocky cliffs. The beach was a combination of sand and rocks, and as the tide continued to go out, we saw that we were in a great area for observing tide pools. Tyson found a baby starfish washed up on the shore, and we placed the little guy/girl on some rocks in a little pool, and resolved to check on him later. As we continued to look around the beach, we saw many starfishes and sea anemones, large and small. Standing in one place, I was surrounded by over 30 starfish, both maroon and orange.


I was barefoot and Tyson had shoes on. He kept wanting me to catch hermit crabs from the pools, and I did catch a few, but I was afraid of getting pinched. The rocks were absolutely covered with mussels. Millions and millions! Above the mussels were the sea anemones. I wish I could see them all open under the water, because the few I did see were hot pink inside. As the sun was setting, Tyson walked out to a little sea arch, then we decided to head back to the house.



After we hiked back up to the shore, I turned around to see this gorgeous sunset…


When we got back to the house at about 8:15, the Fishers had arrived. We chatted with them for a while and they asked where we would be staying that night. We said we would just drive until we found a good place, as usual. They convinced us that since it was already dark, we should stay the night in the house and take off in the morning. Ruth Ann treated us to a delicious Bison-a-roni dinner that Sawyer, Tyson, and I almost couldn’t get enough of, and Sawyer had a fun time playing with all the toys the Fishers keep there for their grandkids. The Fishers are always good for some lively political conversation, so Tyson had a good time talking about the upcoming election with George. After Sawyer went to bed, George and Ruth Ann worked on their computers (they work remotely for their business while they are at the house), as did Tyson, while I read. We retired to bed in a nice bunk bed complex built by my friend Alice’s husband Kyle.

Later I realized I am the worst, worst documenter of things. I didn’t take any pictures of the Fishers! I’m really regretting it! They both were so cute in doting on Sawyer, who they said reminded them of their two youngest grandbabies.

3 comments:

  1. I'm jealous. I think that is my favorite place to be in the whole world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading about your vacation is such great therapy. I can just see myself there, walking along the beach, exploring tidepools, tasting the salty air....ahhhh. Love the pictures. I had forgotten how colorful starfish could be! I'll be looking forward to seeing where you go tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the Heaton family members are all traveling well and safe. Certainly enjoyed the visit and hope you will come back some time. No secret about doting on Sawyer, he is an exceptional and wonderful little boy. Trust me, I am an expert on little boys. I think he looks like his grandpa Walt a little and that isn't so bad. Just teach him if he takes up golf one day to go easy on the front yard divots.

    ReplyDelete