Friday, July 11, 2008

Vacation Report (second try)

Wow, I really wasn't feeling well when I tried to make that last post! There had been various bugs going around at both of the family reuinions we attended, and I guess I caught something. I was running a fever and felt sick to my stomach and achy all over - some kind of flu, I guess. I had to take to my bed (or really, a memory-foam mattress on the floor of the room that is cooler than my bedroom) and let Sawyer crawl all over me until I felt better.

But that's boring...let's move on to the infinitely more interesting (I hope you're catching my sarcasm here) description of our southern Utah roadtrip.

I'm going to repeat the pictures in the last post, but there are some new ones too. My sister and some cousins are going to be giving me some photos they took (well, some of these are already ones my sister took), so there will probably be YET MORE pictures of this blessed trip. But not more taken by me, because (and I'm sure you will realize how angry this made me) MY CAMERA STOPPED WORKING on the second day of the trip. Yes, my new camera. Yes, the one I studiously researched to find the highest amount of functionality at the lower price range. Yes, when I was 400 miles from home in a town of 2000 people (clearly a place with no Sam's Club to which I could return the camera). So there are no pictures once Tyson arrived, or at the Heaton reunion, or at Zion National Park, or of Sawyer's first camping trip. Boo! I returned the camera yesterday and I am now trying to figure out which one I want to buy instead. Tyson wants this Olympus one because it is waterproof, dust proof, freeze proof, crush proof, etc. But the reviews I've read say you sacrifice a lot of picture quality to have it be all of the above, and that most of the time water gets into it anyway if you take it underwater. Since there are no snorkeling trips in my near future, I don't know if I want to pay $369 for this camera when all the similar features (minus the purported indestructability) can be had for $200 less. If I'm going to get up to the $400 range for a camera, why not just spend a few hundred dollars more and get one that's way better?!?! Argh, I hate making these decisions, especially when I already made it and it didn't work out!

Whoa, sorry for the rant. I guess today is one of those days (who am I kidding, it's this way every day), where my blog is much more for me than for any other reader. And that goes for the following trip report, also. I don't expect anyone to be fascinated by our trip, but I want to record this for myself.

First of all, a few days before I left on the trip, Sawyer learned to pull himself to standing in his crib.



See that open mouth? There is a scream coming out of it! Along with pulling himself up in his crib, Sawyer learned to scream bloody murder. I think he has developed a bit of separation anxiety. In our tiny trailer, it doesn't manifest itself often. I am nearly always within his view, and he can crawl to follow me wherever I go. But I don't want him to follow me into the bathroom, and I don't want him crawling around on his own while I am in the shower, changing over the laundry, watering the plants, etc. So I put him in his crib, where he becomes so frustrated by my absence and his inability to crawl after me, that he screams and cries and bawls. Only there are no tears. He's just mad! Up until a couple of weeks ago, when it was nap time he would just contentedly lay down in his crib, suck his thumb, and fall asleep. I bragged about my angel baby. People told me how lucky I was. Now what do I have? I little devil with a big voice!

It was even better on the trip, because he slept in a pack-n-play most nights. These portable cribs have mesh side panels, so sawyer found it much more difficult to climb up to a standing position. He managed it a few times, but most of the time he would get stuck with his upper body and face smooshed against the mesh, his nose flattened and his baby flesh pressing through in a dimpled honeycomb pattern. It was a sad sight (and also a hilarious one, I must add). Here he is, tuckered out after a rough ten minutes of mesh-smooshing.

Anyway, as I was saying in my last post, we rode down to Monticello with my parents. We had a pleasant drive, during which Sawyer started playing peek-a-boo with his rag. So cute! Here are some pictures I took. Still pictures of peek-a-boo don't really capture the feeling, do they? haha.


Where's Sawyer?

Peek-a-boo!


When we arrived at Grandmom and Granddad's house, Grandmom greeted us with a delicious spaghetti dinner. Grandmom spoils us so much when we are guests at her house. She is a great hostess. After dinner, we chatted for awhile on the back patio, and grammy walked a restless Sawyer to sleep. Grammy and Papa (my parents) went to their motel, while Kara and Logan and their three kids took the basement and Sawyer and I took the suite above the garage. Sawyer woke up while I was going to bed, which proved to be a pattern for the rest of the trip. Where usually he sleeps from about 9pm to 9am, that night he slept from 1:30am to 6:30am, and so did his mama!

Wednesday July 3 was set aside as a day of work at the cabin. I rode to the cabin with Kara, Benson, Lily, and Sawyer. Here is a picture of the two cute babies arriving at the cabin.

The Rowley family (my mom's parents and their progeny) built the 6-R Cabin at a reunion 17 years ago. It is situated on a wooded acre of land in Blue Mountian Acres, a property south of Monticello at the base of the Abajo (Blue) Mountains. Some people have fancy cabins that are essentially fully-equipped second homes. Our cabin is not this kind of cabin. It is a much better kind of cabin - a rustic one-room retreat. More "Little House in the Big Woods" less "Cabin in Jackson Hole". I'll just let a picture paint a thousand words:



View of the meadow, as seen from the cabin.

The cabin needed some maintenance work, mainly application of exterior sealant and raking of pine needles for fire prevention. I wasn't much of a help with the work. When your babe in arms spends a day as a babe in the woods, you don't really have your hands free for raking. I did get to do a little raking and some interior sweeping, but most of my time was spent holding Sawyer or Benson and watching other people work. Sawyer cut his first top tooth that afternoon, something that had seemed on the horizon for weeks.

The work was ably handled by Grandmom, Granddad, Logan, Mom, Dad, Uncle Eric, Adam, Uncle Robert, and Aunt Klaire. My cousin Evan played with Kara and me and our kids, and we also received a visit from Brenda and Anna (who wasn't feeling well). The day's efforts were punctuated by a delicious sandwich lunch and a barbecue chicken and dutch oven dinner. Here are some pictures of the workers and the work.

Once the pine needles were raked into about 40 big piles, Uncle Robert was the fire-master who burned them. He worked harder (and for more days) than anyone else.

My brother-in-law Logan applying sealant.

Uncle Robert felled this tree, and it fell right onto the rope swing Granddad and Logan had just put up. Granddad is chaining the tree to Uncle Robert's truck. Uncle Robert and Granddad had the swing up again in no time.

My dad taking a breather.

Aunt Klaire didn't let a recently healed broken leg stop her from working hard, but she did have to take a moment to elevate it.

In the meantime, Kara and I were busy, busy, busy. Busy laying in the hammock and swinging on the swings, that is.










We returned to Monticello that evening, and late that night Tyson and his cousin Davin arrived in Monticello. Of course Sawyer woke up at their arrival (2am), and I spent a couple hours getting him back to sleep.

The next morning was the 4th of July, which I think is one of the greatest holidays ever. It has such a good feeling to it. We celebrated by attending the parade in Blanding, which is another small town about 20 minutes south of Monticello. They put on a nice parade, with lots of candy for the kids. It was very patriotic and had a great small-town flavor. I think Tyson teared up a few times! This was Sawyer's first parade, and of course he isn't interested in candy, but he did love watching all the action and waving his flag. He wasn't even scared at the loud sirens on the firetrucks, and didn't mind too much when he got sprayed with water.

My camera had stopped working by this time, but here is a picture of my niece Amanda to give you a taste of the day.




So that concludes the report of the Monticello leg of our trip. I'm hoping to get a few pictures of the rest of the trip, and I will make that report in a new post.

1 comment:

  1. Well done, Lisa! I'm sorry you weren't feeling very well the first time around. Your report almost makes me feel like we were there, which would've been wonderful! I love all the pictures. Too bad your camera stopped working. Isn't technology both wonderful and incredibly frustrating at the same time?

    ReplyDelete