Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Blast from the Past

Yesterday Tyson and I did a major clean-out of our house - the kind where you pull out all the boxes from under the bed, out of the closet, and from the shed and throw away everything you have been keeping "just in case" you need it. We took three garbage bags of clothes to the D.I. (granted, nearly one entire bag was for my full-length quilted black velvet coat with hot-pink lining - I finally had to face the fact that it was gigantic and I had no use for it), along with three boxes of "stuff". Our closet room is once again recognizable as a room, and we just have that much less stuff to move if/when we move.

A few boxes of stuff we went through were full of letters, pictures, and memorabilia from Tyson's mission (and from high school). Unfortunately, one box suffered extensive water damage in our shed. Tyson is not much of a keepsaker in the best of circumstances, and a box of moldy letters is not the best of circumstances. While I don't mind him tossing out letters from old girlfriends (and I have tossed out all the letters from my old boyfriends), I think the family ones should be preserved, for family history sake. How could you throw out such priceless gems as this one, dictated by then five-year-old Taylor to his mom: "Dear Tyson, Daddy said I had to get rid of my rat because it got a fungus on its face and gave it to me. I had to pay $28.00 for the rat and Katelyn had to pay $5.00. Daddy says maybe we will get another rat. Love Taylor" You can't throw that stuff away! (By the way, what five-year-old has $28?!!)

Tyson is convinced the pictures are only worthwhile if they are in his computer, so I am scanning them for him. Here are a few pictures from Tyson, back in the day.




1 comment:

  1. I love seeing MTC pictures. All are the same cheesy ones with that cool brick wall! gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete