Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Musings on parenting, etc.

Scroll down for pictures!

I don't know how much time I have to blog before Sawyer wakes up from his nap, but we'll see how many of my thoughts I can get down in that undetermined amount of time.

Tyson and I are currently staying with my parents while Tyson completes an internship with the State Legislature. The duration of the internship (and legislative session) is six weeks, and we are in week two. That's just some background info for what I am going to tell about next, because you may wonder why we were having Family Home Evening with my parents last night. There is lots to tell about Tyson's internship and his feelings about it, but I'll save that for another post.

So anyway, my parents returned last night at about 6:00pm from a long-weekend in St. George. Tyson got home from work shortly thereafter. I was a good little stay-at-home-mom (SAHM), and I had dinner ready at 6:30. (I had set the table earlier in the day while sawyer was asleep.) Go me! I compliment myself because this type of organized, plan-ahead behavior is not my strong suit. My mom has been a good example to me in the past week, though, so I thought I would give it a try. I made lemon-garlic salmon over couscous in a tomato-herb broth, with a spinach, tomato, and fresh mozzarella salad on the side, dressed in balsamic vinegar and olive oil. We also had a delicious pineapple that some neighbors of my parents brought them from Hawaii.

I didn't think the dinner I prepared tasted particularly good (except for the salad, which I loved), but everyone else cleaned their plates, so I guess it was fine. Then again, I have noticed that any meal tastes pretty good when you are hungry after a long day of work/driving, and someone sets a warm, complete meal in front of you.

One thing I particularly like about staying with my parents is gathering around the table for meals. We eat at the same table where we ate since I was about six years old, and the setting holds so many fond memories for me. In Logan, Tyson and I usually eat meals at our coffee table, because our trailer is too cramped to set the real table without moving a couch out of the way. Then we end up turning on the TV, and he sits on the couch and I sit on the floor (because I seem to spill on myself if I'm not directly "at" the table). By this method, dinner loses most of its potential for relaxation and companionship. I'll have to see what I can do to fix that when we go home again.

After dinner, I cleaned up while my mom held Sawyer and she and Tyson talked politics. They seem to have some lively conversations, and it's nice to see them enjoy each other. I'm not trying to imply that they ever *haven't* enjoyed each other, but I'm sure Tyson had some apprehensions about moving in with "the in-laws" (and they probably did too), so it's nice to see things going so well. What's not to like about dinner on the table, willing babysitters at the ready, and a two-block walk to work?

I suggested we play a game for Family Home Evening. Dad said he had a quick lesson that he had prepared last Monday, when we didn't end up having FHE because Tyson and I had to go shopping for dress clothes for his internship. The lesson was about names and blessings, prompted by Sawyer's blessing, which occurred Sunday before last. We talked about how our names were chosen, and what significance they might have. I didn't know that my dad was named after his mother's uncle Walter. Sawyer's first name is Edward, after my father's father. We also discussed reasons for the ordinance of the name and blessing in our church, but I don't think I'll go into that right now. After the lesson, we played Settlers of Catan (or however it is spelled...well, I didn't know how to spell it, so I Googled it because I knew it would bug me, and it turns out I had it wrong, but now I fixed it. Yay, Google! Boo, spelling-OCD!). My parents play this game together several times a week, I believe, with some house rules for two-person play. Tyson has played it a few times before, but I have only played once before. Mom was the big winner, breaking her seven-game losing streak to my father. I didn't do so great, but it was fun.

I enjoyed having FHE with my parents, and Tyson was a good sport about it. The whole evening, and the past week, has made me reflect on what we learn from our parents. By the time we leave home (at age 18 or so, sometimes a few years later), we are ready to get out in the world and be on our own and do things "our way". (Maybe I should stop using the plural pronouns here, because I'm certainly talking about "me", not necessarily "we".) Our parents, in turn, have to "let us go", and trust that they have taught us enough to enable us to survive as adults on our own. My parents and I went through struggles of this type in my late teens and early twenties. Eventually I settled into being an autonomous adult, and I later married and now I have a child of my own. I think I've done pretty well, but truthfully it has been nice to come home again for a little while. I see the good habits of my parents (dinner on the table, do the dishes right afterwards, make the bed in the morning, have family home evening, etc.), and now I have the maturity to admire and emulate them. It's been good to have a refresher course in being an adult!

I was going to write something more about names, and also about parenting styles between me and Tyson, but Sawyer has woken up and it is time for him to eat. Here are some pictures to whet your appetite, though.



Baby carrier, Mom's version
Baby carrier, Dad's version

1 comment:

  1. Those are great pictures!

    Tell Tyson there's nothing wrong with a man wearing a baby carrier. Kyle used to wear it all the time (and there's nothing wrong with kyle, right? Don't answer that.).

    ReplyDelete